Monday 16 January 2012

After the Gold Rush by Tomer Jacobson

Last week I received an email form Tomer Jacobson in Israel.

Tomer sent an image titled'After the Gold Rush'

It is part of a series he has just started which is based on his interpretation of songs that he likes .

This part is very important in my books as when we shoot anything we like, or love, it is always so much better for it.

Needless to say this one is his interpretation of the enigmatic Neil Young song.

Enigmatic in that I don't think Neil Young has ever revealed what the song is about, interestingly he has also never released any of his songs for use in commercials.

Tomer shot this image.....



So, a well executed and lit shot but the clever part for me is the concept.

In the world of 'Me too' coming up with a clever and original idea carries so much more weight and significance, in my eyes at least.

I suspect in the wider world too.

Tomer has posted BTS video of the shoot here.



Its in Hebrew so I can't understand the words, but really there is no need to, you see him getting on with it and doing a great job and working with the light not against it

He ended up using an image shot with available light, I'm not that surprised, smoke machine shots seem to work very well with available light...and a hint of flash

With a little help from my old friend the smoke machine.

Like myself, Tomer chose to buy sooner than rent to save money long term, so I suspect we will be seeing it again in the series.

I look forward to seeing what else Tomer comes up with.

The concept is king

What is yours going to be?

3 comments:

DaPi said...

No doubt inspired by David's "Death of Marat":
http://culturedart.blogspot.com/2010/12/death-of-marat-david.html

Unknown said...

Hi DaPi,

Without a doubt.

Tomer has done well to replicate the waxy look of the skin.

Regards

Drew

תומר יעקבסון said...

Dear Drew,
What can I say? Really flattered by this, Thanks so much for posting this ,for your inspiration and for sharing your knowledge and skills with the rest of us- Cheers and thanks again - Tomer